2013年3月6日水曜日

Japanese Plum is in full bloom in Tokyo

Flower viewing is a national pastime. From mid-February to mid-March, it's a blossom season for ume or Japanese plums. People go to see them in droves.

This year (2013), weather was cold and the blooming of Japanese plums (early blooming types) was delayed for two weeks but today, due to warm weather, early blooming types are in full bloom together with those in late blooming types.



There are several places famous for Japanese plum blossom viewing in Tokyo. I went to Ikegami Japanese Plum Garden (池上梅園). It has about 30 kinds of Japanese plums, of which 150 trees bear "hakubai (白梅)" or white plum flowers and 220 trees, "kobai (紅梅)," or pink plum flowers. During flower season, it announces flowering status via web.



In Tokyo, Japanese plum flowers and fragrance can be enjoyed for the next two weeks.



Tokyo Metro Asakusa line's Nishi-magome is the nearest subway station. It's about 7-minute walk to Ikegami Baien (Ikegami Japanese Plum Garden). You'll soon see flowers on your left.

3 件のコメント:

  1. There was nice pink blooming trees in Napa too but nothing compare to the famous Japanese Plum. In Paris it has been snowing last week so we have to wait. You can also see a nice japanese garden in Albert Kahn museum.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Hi Pierre,
      Glad to know that you are safely back to home.
      I imagine that Napa must've been beautiful with rows and rows of the blooming field mustard (yellow flowers). And with temperature-controlled wine!
      If you like, check: http://tropicalseaweed.blogspot.jp/2010/05/blog-post_14.html
      The first pic was taken on the way to Napa/Sonoma from SF. Others were taken at a winery in Sonoma. I loved driving to wine counties and did many times. Later to Russian River area (new wine area due to climate change). If you took pics in Napa, it'll be nice if you can post some here. I don't know if it can be done but should be.
      Beautiful Napa and Sonoma - I miss them.

      削除
  2. Hi ピリット I guess it's your name,

    I like your blog, it's very interesting as the discussions we had. It also remind me my trip to Tokyo and one of my favorit place: Kamakura. I also liked Enoshima if you have the opportunity to blog about it. I'm glad you are also back home safe. You are right there were field of yellow mustard flowers in Napa. I prefer the pink trees, I guess they were cherry trees but I'm not sure.Anyway I'm sorry but I don't have pics to send you about this tree. The only plant I took a pic was a cactus in Zion Park. If one day you have the opportunity to come in France don't hesitate I would be glad to help you visit my country.

    返信削除